-Caveat Lector-

I'm all for your right to own an elephant, Hawk.
Go for it.

However, I think your argument that private owners make better
caretakers because they are interested in protecting their investment
might be a little weak.  It resembles the arguments used by white
slaveowners during the Abolitionist debates...  "We love our
slaves...after all, they're investments..  We have to take care of them or
they lose their value.."

Regards,
Wm