-Caveat Lector-

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Carlene M. Wojahn wrote:
>or even that of 135 years ago, you got to remember the differences in the cultures
>between the north and the south, and that culture includes their religion.

How was the religion of the South different from that of the North?

>I thought this was an open list, that sort of had free speech...I don't know much
>of what is and is not permitted here, but I think it is wrong not to include the
>Bible which is a fundamental basis of many things that we have today, governments
>included.

I suggest you read the "Declaration & Disclaimer" which gets appended to
every post to this list for clarification on what is 'allowed' and not
allowed on this list...

What Roadsend explained is that when people start to use any religious
treatise to support their views, one no longer has 'discussion' but
prosyletizing...since one's religious beliefs all boil down to belief and
faith, not facts.

I could argue for the establishment of some law based on what Buddha
taught...but if other's do not follow Buddhism, my argument is
meaningless, and if I insist on quoting tenets of Buddhism, I'm then on a
soapbox, prosyletizing my PERSONAL beliefs/faith/superstition, and not
DISCUSSING FACTS.

Now, I COULD discuss aspects of life in a Buddhist country, and compare
how their political system and quality of life compare to, say, a Moslem
or 'Christian' country...that would be discussing FACTS...but if the
discussion degenerates into an argument about which religion is
'correct', then it's OT for this list...

>DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
>==========
>CTRL is a discussion and informational exchange list. Proselyzting propagandic
>screeds are not allowed. Substance—not soapboxing!  These are sordid matters
>and 'conspiracy theory', with its many half-truths, misdirections and outright
>frauds is used politically  by different groups with major and minor effects
>spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRL
>gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers;
>be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credeence to Holocaust denial and
>nazi's need not apply.
>
>Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.

June

      The melancholy days are come, the saddest of the year,
      Of wailing winds and naked woods, and meadows brown and sear.
        -- Wm. Cullen Bryant:  The Death of the Flowers
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.