-Caveat Lector-

Carlene,
Welcome to the list!  This is the second time I've subscribed...and you
will be exposed to every kind of conceivable opinion here. So, don't
leave.  But at times, the exchanges become particularly nasty.

Just before you posted, one of the list contributors suggested that I
(William) might be, in reality, another contributor who goes by the net
monicker of Hawk.  I assured her that I am not.  [William checking himself
carefully...no black wings in evidence]

This kind of lunacy does occasionally take place here.  People are free to
sound off about any topic they so desire... And I think it is a good
thing.  But at times a lynch mob mentality prevails....and some of us want
to control the direction/topics/kind of verbal exchanges that take place.

I tend to approach the list from the standpoint that one can actually
LEARN from people whom one disagrees with.  Debate...even if at times it
sinks to the level of acrimony is a good thing in a free society...because
we are exposed to new ideas...new information...new
perspectives on old topics....

Our list has a number of exceptionally well-informed individuals coming
from a variety of different backgrounds who make invaluable contributions
to the list serve.  Then, there are others who approach the list from a
combative perspective.... They believe that they are the sole possessors
and purveyors of "the truth"....and it is their mission in life to
enlighten the rest of us who have strayed into darkness.  But even they
make a contribution of sorts.

Ordinarily, I don't tend to lock horns with the individuals on the
list...but I get tired of their bullying supercilious attitude and feel
that I have a duty to give some kind of response.  (But if I were to
respond to every post...I would never get away from this computer screen.)

Best wishes and welcome to the list
William