The Week Online with DRCNet, Issue #75 - January 22, 1998
   A Publication of the Drug Reform Coordination Network

        -------- PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE --------

(To sign off this list, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
 line "signoff drc-natl" in the body of the message, or
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for assistance.  To subscribe to
 this list, visit <http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html>.)

(This issue can be also be read on our web site at
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html>.  Check out the DRCNN
weekly radio segment at <http://www.drcnet.org/drcnn/>.)

PERMISSION to reprint or redistribute any or all of the
contents of The Week Online is hereby granted.  We ask that
any use of these materials include proper credit and, where
appropriate, a link to one or more of our web sites.  If
your publication customarily pays for publication, DRCNet
requests checks payable to the organization.  If your
publication does not pay for materials, you are free to use
the materials gratis.  In all cases, we request notification
for our records, including physical copies where material
has appeared in print.  Contact: Drug Reform Coordination
Network, 2000 P St., NW, Suite 615, Washington, DC 20036,
(202) 293-8340 (voice), (202) 293-8344 (fax), e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you.

Articles of a purely educational nature in The Week Online
appear courtesy of the DRCNet Foundation, unless otherwise
noted.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Will Foster Parole Denied
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#noparole

2. Senate Republicans Push a Drug-Free Century Act
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#century

3. New York Mayor Giuliani Reverses Himself on Methadone
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#giuliani

4. California Gubernatorial Candidate Steve Kubby Arrested
   for Medical Marijuana
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#kubby

5. Humboldt Residents Testify to Environmental Harm of Anti-
   Marijuana Helicopters
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#copters

6. EDITORIAL: Standing at the Schoolhouse Door
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/075.html#editorial

================

1. Will Foster Parole Denied

DRCNet received word just prior to press time that Oklahoma
Governor Frank Keating has denied parole to Will Foster
despite the unanimous recommendation of the state parole
board, the strong support of various officials of the prison
where Will had been housed for over a year (online at
<http://www.drcnet.org/foster/>, and calls, faxes, letters
and e-mail from all over the world urging his release.  No
reason was given by the governor for the denial.

Word in Oklahoma is that George W. Bush Jr. is considering
Keating from among a short list of candidates for the Vice
Presidential spot on his ticket, should Bush run and win the
Republican nomination.  Being that both Bush and Keating
have been unrelenting drug warriors, it would appear that
paroling Foster would not have been politically
advantageous.

Foster will be eligible to appear in front of the parole
board again in a year.

DRCNet wants to thank all of our subscribers who took the
time to reach out to Governor Keating on Will Foster's
behalf, and to urge you not to get discouraged, but to put
the same energy into the efforts that will help one day win
freedom for all the nonviolent drug offenders.  We are in a
hard fight, but it is a fight that can one day be won.  We
will, of course, keep you up to date on Will Foster's
situation, and how you can help him next year.

================

2. Senate Republicans Push a Drug-Free Century Act

 - Scott Ehlers, Senior Policy Analyst, Drug Policy Foundation,
   http://www.dpf.org

Senate Republicans took time out from the impeachment
hearings on Tuesday, January 19, to present their newest
scheme for creating a drug-free America: S. 5, the Drug-Free
Century Act (DFCA), and a slew of individual bills that
contain elements of the omnibus DFCA.  The omnibus DFCA is
"comprehensive" according to the sponsor, Sen. DeWine (R-
OH), containing "treatment, education, domestic law
enforcement, and drug interdiction."

An analysis of the bill, however, reveals the usual lopsided
emphasis on law enforcement, incarceration, interdiction,
and asset forfeiture, at the expense of anything that
remotely resembles treatment, prevention, and education.
The DFCA makes it easier for federal law enforcement to
forfeit your boat, even if no drugs are found, and take your
assets if you happen to go astray of the ever-expanding
anti-money laundering laws.

The DFCA seeks to reduce the crack cocaine/powder cocaine
sentencing disparity by making it easier to imprison more
people for powder cocaine.

Whereas previously it would take 5 kilograms to receive a
10-year mandatory minimum, if the DFCA is enacted it would
only take 500 grams.  It also changes the quantity required
to receive a five-year mandatory minimum, from 500 grams to
50 grams.

Some of the most interesting elements of the bill are
contained in the demand reduction section (Title III).  Sec.
3005 prohibits any federal funds from being "expended,
directly or indirectly," on syringe exchange programs
(SEPs). Passage of such language could wipe out many SEPs in
the United States, as many programs depend on federal monies
to carry out other parts of their drug and HIV prevention
programs.

The DFCA would also:

 * establish a $10,000,000-a-year "incentive grant program"
under the Department of Transportation to make it illegal to
drive with "any measurable amount" of a controlled substance
in your body.  Persons convicted of the offense would be
"referred to appropriate services, including intervention,
counseling, and treatment."  Persons convicted of "any
criminal offense relating to drugs" would also have their
license suspended;

 * fund "innovative voluntary random drug testing programs"
under the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of
1994; and

 * promote closed circuit cameras in schools and the
expulsion and reporting of students to law enforcement who
sell drugs on school grounds.

Finally, DFCA's Drug-Free Families Act attacks "drug
legalization advocates," whose political campaigns,
according to the bill, have caused drug use to escalate
among children.  The bill also attacks the advocates of
hemp, harm reduction, and controlled drinking.

This section of the DFCA authorizes Thomas Constantine,
administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration, to
give the non-profit organization, Parent Collaboration (a
subsidiary of National Families in Action,
http://www.emory.edu/NFIA/about/partners/collaboration.html)
$25 million over five years to reinvigorate the parents'
movement of the 1970s.

Did Sue Rusche, Executive Director of National Families in
Action, write the Drug-Free Families Act for the Republican
Senators?  Or does she just have friends in high places,
like co-sponsor Sen. Coverdell, who represents her home
state of Georgia?  Feel free to write Ms. Rusche at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or Sen. Coverdell at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and ask them
yourself.

The full text and status of federal legislation can
be accessed online at <http://thomas.loc.gov>.

================

3. New York Mayor Giuliani Reverses Himself on Methadone

Six months ago, New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani
horrified drug treatment experts by announcing that all
patients receiving methadone at New York City hospitals
would be weaned off in three months.  Citing his preference
for "drug freedom," rather than a treatment which "exchanges
one dependence for another," Giuliani advocated an end to
the treatment that most researchers call the best hope for
countless heroin addicts.

Facing strong and immediate criticism, Giuliani
characterized methadone's advocates as "members of the
politically correct crowd" and went so far as to call Drug
Czar Barry McCaffrey, who had recently advocated for
increased availability of methadone "a disaster" (see
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/051.html#giuliani>,
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/055.html#giuliani2>, and
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/061.html#methadone> for DRCNet
news coverage).

But on Friday of last week (1/15) Giuliani did an about face
on the issue, in the face of the realization that what he
was proposing was, in his words, "maybe somewhat
unrealistic."  In fact, in the six months since the change
in official policy, only 21 of the city's 2,100 methadone
patients (the vast majority of the 36,000 city residents
using methadone are in state and federally funded programs)
got off the treatment.  Of those 21, five relapsed back into
heroin use, according to city officials.

Giuliani now proposes that the city aim to move people off
of methadone without forcing them off.  "Suppose" he said,
"instead of 63% of the slots being for keeping people
chemically dependent, 63% of the slots were for programs
that were for drug freedom.  And we reserve 10, 15, 20,
whatever we have to for methadone for those people who need
to have a transition and for those people where drug-free
programs just can't work."

People close to the story say the mayor also paid attention
to the experts.  "Several people in the methadone advocacy
movement, scientists and researchers and doctors, had
written letters to the Mayor," says Holly Catania, a senior
research associate at the Lindesmith Center in New York,
"and apparently, from his own statements, he listened to
them.  I think the methadone community, especially the
patient community, is relieved to hear him publicly state
that his goal of eliminating methadone was unreasonable."

Learn more about methadone on the DRCNet site at
<http://www.drcnet.org/methadone>, from the Lindesmith
Center's online library at <http://www.lindesmith.org>, and
from the National Alliance of Methadone Advocates at
<http://www.methadone.org>.  See The Week Online's interview
with leading methadone authority Dr. Robert Newman, online
at <http://www.drcnet.org/wol/051.html#newman>.

================

4. California Gubernatorial Candidate Steve Kubby Arrested
   for Medical Marijuana

Steve Kubby never made a secret of his medicinal use of
marijuana.  In fact, his support of the implementation of
Proposition 215 was a centerpiece of his campaign for
Governor of California in 1998, and he was instrumental in
getting the proposition on the ballot in '96.  But on
Tuesday morning, just days after new California Attorney
General Bill Lockyer made public statements regarding his
intention of seeing Prop. 215 fully implemented, Kubby found
his Lake Tahoe home invaded by 14 agents of the DEA, state
and local police.

Kubby suffers from Pheochromocytomo, cancer of the adrenal
gland, and has a letter from his doctor indicating that
there is no other known effective treatment for the
condition.  Kubby, in fact, has forsaken drugs altogether
and has, for many years, managed his condition with
marijuana alone.  Kubby's wife Michelle suffers from
irritable bowel syndrome and also uses marijuana, which
allows her to eat.

Kubby, who spoke with The Week Online from jail, said that
police found 350 plants in his home, of which 150 were small
seedlings which had not yet been separated into male
(inactive) and female plants.

"Once they got me to the jail, which obviously meant that I
was off of my medicine, they threw me into a freezing cold
cell.  My blood pressure shot up, which tends to happen when
your adrenal gland isn't functioning properly.  I've had
three hypertensive episodes since I've been here, I've got
horrendous headaches and I've been throwing up pretty
constantly."

Kubby, who publishes Alpine World, an online magazine
<http://www.alpworld.com>, told The Week Online that the
police weren't interested in documentation showing the
couple to be legitimate medicinal users.

"We have doctors' letters, we have ID from the Oakland
Cannabis Buyers' Club.  In fact, my grow was inspected two
weeks ago by Jeff Jones from the Oakland club.  One officer
even told me that while 215 may work in San Francisco, it
wasn't valid here."

The Kubbys have been charged with unauthorized cultivation,
possession with intent to distribute and conspiracy.
Despite the fact that they been members of the community for
over twenty years, own their home and have a two year-old
daughter, bail was set at $100,000 for each of them.

"We are an absolute zero risk of flight.  This is absurd.  I
believe that this is totally politically motivated."

================

5. Humboldt Residents Testify to Environmental Harm of Anti-
   Marijuana Helicopters

 - Dale Gieringer, California NORML, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
   http://www.norml.org/canorml/

REDWAY CA, Jan. 18, 1999:  Eyewitnesses described the
environmental and human harm caused by marijuana eradication
helicopters at public hearings on the US Bureau of Land
Management's (BLM) proposed guidelines for marijuana
eradication operations in Northern California.

Complaints included damage to wildlife and livestock,
disruption of work and school, hazards to endangered bird
species, dangerous encounters with helicopters and armed
personnel, distress and trauma to residents in need of peace
and quiet, and habitual disregard of legally mandated
procedures by California's CAMP (Campaign Against Marijuana
Planting) helicopter program.

The hearings were organized by the Civil Liberties
Monitoring Project (CLMP) and The Rights Organization (TRO)
on behalf of plaintiffs in a federal suit against the
government's 1990 Operation Greensweep, in which helicopters
and armed troops invaded a remote wilderness area of
Humboldt County to eradicate marijuana.  As part of a
settlement, U.S. district judge Fern Smith ordered that the
BLM prepare guidelines to address the adverse environmental
and human impacts of anti-marijuana operations.

The hearings were presided over by retired California
appeals court judge William Newsom, who promised to issue
findings after reviewing the transcripts.  TRO director Ed
Denson introduced the hearings by noting that a young
generation of southern Humboldt residents had grown up
without knowing a summer of peace in the wilderness free
from anti-marijuana helicopter disruption.  Succeeding
witnesses were universally critical of the helicopter
operations.

Witnesses took strong exception to the BLM's assumption that
helicopter operations above 500 feet pose no serious threat
to endangered birds.  Environmental expert Linda Derkson
presented evidence that flights beneath 2,000 feet could
cause serious harm by disrupting migration patterns and
inducing desertion of nests.  Rare bird breeder Fred Bauer
testified that he had suffered $40,000 in losses from broken
eggs, abandoned nests and breeding deaths caused by CAMP
helicopters.  Witnesses testified that helicopters routinely
came down to tree-top level, endangering nesting birds by
using their prop-wash to blow down foliage in search of
marijuana.

Horse trainer Susan Carmada testified how helicopters
panicked horses to the point of injury, dangerously startled
riders, and once maliciously chased a colt and its mother
around the field. Other animal breeders complained of harm
to rabbits, emu, and buffalo.

Residents who had moved to Humboldt County for wilderness
peace and quiet testified to the trauma caused by
helicopters.  Telecommuter Shelly Comes described how
helicopters made it impossible to conduct business calls
with Silicon Valley and Europe.  Vietnam vets testified how
the noise of helicopters exacerbated post-traumatic stress.

Schoolteacher Kim Kemp testified that helicopters had landed
on her schoolgrounds unannounced and once caused so much
noise as to force her to close her school.

CLMP spokesperson Bernadette Webster described how her
daughter, Blossom, was upset after encountering a gun-toting
Operation Greensweep guardsman in camouflage gear, who
refused to identify himself.

Former CAMP officers backed up residents' claims of
widespread abuses and violations of legal enforcement
procedure.  "Every officer that's been in a helicopter
involved in the CAMP program, if they were going to tell you
the truth, would say yes, we have flown under 500 feet, we
got as close as we could to the treetops to hover, we have
looked into people's windows," testified Gary Holder, a
former deputy sheriff and CAMP officer.

Holder warned that enforceability of guidelines would be a
major problem, since CAMP personnel are brought in from out
of county and trained to believe that "everybody out there
is a bad guy."

Former CAMP commander Gene Womack complained that
confiscated marijuana was stored in a pit just 100 yards
from the dormitory of the Eel River conservation camp
correctional facility, creating an attractive nuisance for
prisoners, many of whom ended up being charged with
marijuana offenses at considerable state expense.

California NORML coordinator Dale Gieringer called the use
of helicopters and paramilitary personnel "unwarranted and
inappropriate" in view of the minimal harms posed by
marijuana.  He argued that the only way to control its
cultivation would be through legally regulated commerce.
The BLM declined to send spokesmen to the hearings, claiming
that they were concerned about their physical security in a
hostile community.

Local residents scoffed at the excuse, noting the strong
pacifist sentiments of the Southern Humboldt community.
Denson invoked the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr., who
called on followers to "to keep on, and then keep on keeping
on" resisting government wrong through non-violent means.

The BLM guidelines are open to public comment until Feb.
10th.  For more info, contact the CLMP office at (707) 923-
4646 or Ron Sinoway at (707) 923-3905.

================

6. EDITORIAL: Standing at the Schoolhouse Door

Adam J. Smith, DRCNet Associate Director, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Over the past week, much has been written and said regarding
the President's State of the Union message and the context
in which it was delivered.  But while the focus of much of
the analysis has been on the lies, or misleading statements
-- depending upon the sympathies of the commentator -- that
President Clinton had uttered months earlier, there was one
such statement, which Clinton made during the address
itself, that has thus far escaped scrutiny.

Early on in the 77-minute affair, Clinton got to talking
about all of the different programs, established on his
watch, that help to defray the cost of a college education
for Americans.  Clinton, being "the education President,"
noted that:

"Today we can say something we couldn't say six years ago...
we have finally opened the doors of college to all
Americans."

But in fact, on October 7, 1998, President Clinton signed
into law the 1998 Higher Education Act, which contained a
provision which threatens access to federal financial aid
for hundreds of thousands of young people.  That provision
states that any person with a conviction for possession of
any controlled substance will have their financial aid
denied for one year.  If the person has two convictions,
they will have to wait two years, and three convictions
means "indefinite" denial of aid.  Those convicted on
distribution charges (including "intent to distribute") will
lose aid for two years, or indefinitely if they have more
than one conviction.  No other class of offense, including
violent or predatory offenses, carry this added punishment.

According to the 1998 Monitoring the Future survey, more
than 50% of American high school seniors have used an
illicit substance at least once.  That means that the doors
of college are potentially shut to more than half of
college-eligible students.

It is absurd, of course, for an advanced society to take
troubled kids, kids who have had a brush or two with the
law, and make it more difficult for them to improve
themselves.  Common sense tells us that an education is a
path out of trouble, and offers near-certain entry into the
mainstream economy, away from the black markets that our
policies create.  To the extent that the federal government
involves itself in education, it ought certainly to be
making it easier, and not more difficult for citizens to
pursue their dreams.  Young people who have been in trouble,
but who, despite their difficulties, make their way to the
gates of a university ought to be commended, not turned
away.

But even more troubling than the general principle is the
discriminatory impact that the new law will have.  A lack of
financial aid will not bar well-to-do students from
attending an institution, only those who could not otherwise
afford to attend.  The children of most legislators, several
of whom have been arrested for drug offenses in recent
years, need not worry.

Worse still is the fact that non-whites will be hit the
hardest.  African Americans, for example, who comprise 12%
of America's population, and 13% of drug users, account for
55% of those convicted for drug offenses.  This is a simple
matter of the methods and patterns of drug law enforcement.
This policy then can be fairly viewed as reverse-affirmative
action.

The drug warriors, in their moralistic paternalism, have
declared that they are willing to go to any lengths to "send
a message to our children" that drug use is wrong.  But only
the most backward and uncivilized parent would punish their
children by denying them an education.  President Clinton,
in yet another "misleading statement," pronounced to the
nation last week that the doors of college are now open to
everyone.  The reality, however, is that for more than half
of America's high school seniors, those doors will be open
only to the ones with well-to-do families, or the ones who
don't get caught.

DRCNet needs your support!  Donations can be sent to 2000 P
St., NW, Suite 615, Washington, DC 20036, or made by credit
card at <http://www.drcnet.org/drcreg.html>.  Donations to
the Drug Reform Coordination Network are not tax-deductible.
Deductible contributions supporting our educational work can
be made by check to the DRCNet Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-
exempt organization, same address.

  DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet

JOIN/MAKE A DONATION    http://www.drcnet.org/drcreg.html
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST  http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html
DRUG POLICY LIBRARY     http://www.druglibrary.org/
DRCNET HOME PAGE        http://www.drcnet.org/