-Caveat Lector-

On 10 Feb 99, , Edward wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> SnoOwl:
>
> Help me out here. Your argument is that, because there are poor, uneducated
> and imprisoned youth, we should continue to have legalized abortion? To
> extend this logic, is what you are saying that being poor should be
> included among the Big Three exceptions to any potential ban on abortion?
> PLEASE clarify! Sounds as if poverty warrants capital punishment.
>
> Even though I am opposed to abortion except in the three most notable cases
> of rape, incest and endangerment (plus, possibly, one more), and were I to
> consider changing my stance, your argument would scare the be-jesus out of
> me!!

One in four kids in America is now living in poverty. There are thousands of children
out
there who need love and care. My point is that while everyone is railing about killing
babies, very few people want to take care of these babies after they're born. Or really
cares much what happens to them--in spite of all the morality talk about "for the
children." The US as a country is into building prisons--not schools. I'm for taking
care
of the kids we've got...not bringing kids into the world that not even the parents
want or
can care for. I think that the babies who are born should be wanted, and that the
parent or parents should feel they have the means to care for them--financially and
emotionally-- whether the parents are rich or poor.

I also believe that women should have control over their bodies.Bringing a fetus to
term
is a woman's decision to make. Birth control doesn't always work. People are fallible.
They make mistakes.

I will not argue this with you or anyone. I don't believe women should have abortions.
No woman wants to have an abortion. But I think they should have the choice....and be
able to make that choice in safety. Bringing a fetus to term and giving it up for
adoption
is another choice. I think it is as painful a choice, if not more, for a woman, than
having
an abortion. There is a biological, physical, and hormonal bond between mother and
child that makes it very difficult for a woman to go through full pregnancy,  have a
baby
and then give it away. I think this factor may be very difficult for men to comprehend.
But adoption is a choice women have. Abortion is another. I believe women should
have the choice.

When abortion is illegal, women --both married and single women--continue to make
the choice to have abortions. The difference is that they are forced into dangerous
situations and many die.Wealthy women can always go to other states or countries
where abortion is legal. It is poor women who die.

That's how I feel about it--whether it scares you or not.

sno0wl