-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 10, 2006 2:39:36 PM PDT
Subject: Bushkisser Joe Loses, Rove Phones Him, and Voila! -- "Al Qaeda Terror Plot"

WAS THIS THE BIG ONE?

The alleged plot to blow up ten US-bound airliners appears to be unlike anything the world has seen in years.  Last night terrorism experts said the London plot could have been "The Big One" for Al Qaeda -- the mass-scale follow-up attack feared as the fifth anniversary of 9/11 approaches.

Yesterday 21 young men, said to be British-born but of Pakistani origin, were arrested by UK police.

US President George W Bush claimed it showed how the ‘war on terror’ continued.

Hundreds of flights were canceled worldwide. Magnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert who has done extensive research into Al Qaeda’s efforts to recruit in Europe, said the alleged UK plot "could very well have been an attempt at ‘the Big One.’ It had the potential to dwarf attacks of recent years - killing thousands -  and appeared to have involved far more extensive planning and expertise.

Other observers noted that the timing of the arrests had diverted global attention from the ongoing Israeli conflict in Lebanon.

Senator Joe Lieberman seized on the terror arrests in Britain today to attack his Democratic rival, Ned Lamont, saying that Mr. Lamont’s goals for ending the war in Iraq would constitute a “victory” for [Al Qaeda], including those plotting to blow up airliners traveling between Britain and the United States.

“Did Karl Rove write this script for Joe?” Lamont asked.

U.K. "Terror Plot" Foiled

Day after Lieberman's Defeat.

Coincidence?

A BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS

http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/analysis/089

The pattern continues. A terrorist plot is uncovered just as the masses start to question national security strategy. The day after Senate Democrats brought a vote to pull out of Iraq, we catch a few idiots in Miami who were supposedly trying to blow up the Sears Tower, despite the fact that they lacked the means and ability to do so. Then there were the guys busted for supposedly plotting to blow up a New York subway exactly a year after the London bus bombings. And don't forget the release of new Osama bin Laden tapes just before the 2004 election as well as the very day after the Supreme Court decision striking down the Guantanamo Bay military tribunals. And now today, a few men in England were arrested for a plan to blow up planes flying to America, just a day after Connecticut voters flatly rejected Joe Lieberman and the war in Iraq.

We certainly can't deny that there may have indeed been plans to commit these acts. But the timings of the arrest announcements are awfully suspicious. All three were still in the works and had been monitored for several months by very capable intelligence agencies. While the exact nature of today's arrests is still unclear, none of the plans seemed to have been immediate or imminent threats. The decision of when to intervene has been arbitrary, making the coincidental timings pretty convenient. (And the question of whether some of them are "real threats," such as the Liberty City "Insane Clown Posse" remain to be seen.)

Imagine a conversation late Tuesday night between Bush and his British Prime Minister lapdog, just as Ned Lamont declares victory. "Yo, Blair," Bush says while scarfing down a dinner role. "I gotta to do something about this sh*t. Can you finally arrest those suspected terrorists you told me about? This election business is ruining my vacation! I know you're chillin' in the Caribbean yourself right now, but it sure would be great if you could make a few calls for me ASAP."

Don't buy it? Consider this quote from a Reuters article on the story: "President George W. Bush had known about the investigation for several days, was briefed about it regularly and knew the arrests were coming, a senior administration official said." Both countries are surely monitoring several terrorist leads that could lead to arrests at any time. The British group would have been stopped eventually, but there has been absolutely no indication why it had to be today.

Just yesterday Tony Snow and Dick Cheney told America that Lieberman's loss was going to make us less safe and warned of the dangers of our supposedly weakened resolve against terrorism. What better way to drive the point home than to catch some terrorists in England immediately afterwards?

Based on a quote from the U.K. Guardian, the Brits seem to have the same agenda: "The events unfolded just hours after (English Home Secretary John Reid) used a speech to a thinktank to accuse critics of the government's anti-terrorism measures of putting national security at risk through their failure to recognize the serious nature of the threat facing Britain."

If the timing of the media announcement wasn't a political ploy, the rhetoric and propaganda sure are. "It was in some respects suggestive of an al-Qaeda plot," Homeland Security Director Chertoff said. Attorney General Gonzales also noted it was "suggestive of al-Qaeda tactics," and FBI director Robert Mueller claimed "this had the earmarks [sic] of an al-Qaeda plot." They still warned that it was too early to reach any conclusions, yet had no problems with dropping the name of the feared organization to implant the connection in our heads without proof. If they don't know, they shouldn't even make the suggestion. The Bush Administration has become masterful at scaring the bejesus out of us without actually saying anything factual. They did exactly the same thing when they were trying to connect Saddam to terrorists. The lengthy press conference today had an awful lot of "we believe" and not very much "we know."

For his part, Bush personally declared that "it is a mistake to believe there is no threat to the United States of America" because "this nation is at war with Islamic fascists."

There's also the mixed messages. On the one hand, Bush/Blair policies have saved the day. Tony Snow said "it is safe to travel." On the other hand, we are still in horrible danger and have to step up the terror alert warning to red. Are we more or less safe today than yesterday? While the original situation may have indeed been critical, the confusion created by ambiguities and conflicting reports have left most people in both America and Britain terrified. Airports are banning items such as hair gel and soda left and right in carry-on luggage and encouraging passengers to arrive even earlier for increased screening. While the logical conclusion should be that Bush and Iraq actually haven't helped at all, and if anything made us worse off, too many people will get swallowed up by the scare tactics into supporting Bush even more. And Karl Rove knows it. More importantly, all those pesky stories about Lamont, Lebanon, and even Iraq are now safe in the periphery.

The problem is that Bush has lost all credibility. He's cried wolf so many times this could be the real deal with absolutely no impropriety and we would have no way to know. When there is this much distrust of the president, we are almost forced to assume we're being tricked again by the use of fear to manipulate public opinion.

As the Orwellian dictator in the film "V for Vendetta" screams to his "cabinet" at one point: "I want them to remember why they need us."

Of course, the preservation of chaos was the goal for the rule by tyranny in "V," as it appears to be in Bushworld.

Terrorist threats may or may not be real. They may or may not be activated as a result of the Busheviks now becoming the motivational cause of terrorists at this point.

We will never know, as long as one-party dictatorship prevails and incompetence and unending war are the means of maintaining power.

But timing is something you can document. And this timing of the latest act of terrorism announcement appears more political than operational.

A senatorial candidate who questions the strategic value of the Iraq War is denounced by the top level of the Bush Administration as an appeaser of terrorists -- and then once again there is an arrest of people we are told intended to commit grievous acts of terrorism.

There appears to be a pattern here, and it's one employed by masters of tyranny, not democracy, to cover up for a failed war and a failed foreign policy.

But the sheeple can only bleat.

A BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS

Although you are probably correct about the timing with the Connecticut election, what is also likely is that the timing is meant to coincide with current opposition to the new US/UK extradition treaty that is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on September 7, 2006. This very bad document, if ratified, would:

:: Remove the judiciary role from the extradition process, and transfer responsibility to the Executive branch.

:: Allow for provisional arrest and detention of American citizens for 60 days without a formal request from Great Britain, thereby denying Americans their right to have their day in court in front of an impartial judge.

:: Provide that American law need not be violated.

:: Permit retroactive application to alleged activity committed before the treaty's ratification.

:: Eliminate any statute of limitations.

:: Eliminate the need for authorities to demonstrate probable cause.

:: Allow for the use of secret evidence so that US citizens cannot confront their accuser.

:: Not allow for "political" status -- that is, there would be no review to see if the extradition is politically motivated.

The administration has done a masterful job keeping the hearings on the treaty scripted (the first one was ALL administration testimony, the second was largely administration testimony). The British are pushing hard to get this document in force -- one has to ask why? An interesting aspect of the UK side of the ratification is that it was done using a rather obscure rule that allows approval by a body other than the full parliment.

Buzzflash should do more research on this very bad treaty (that the US wants to use as a model for treaties with other allies).

I take the liberty of reposting the comment made by Benmerc on The Existentialist Cowboy (I hope Benmerc won't mind):
For the red alert enthusiasts out there…

Our Vice Prez sez:

“..The thing that's partly disturbing about it is the fact that, the standpoint of our adversaries, if you will, in this conflict, and the al Qaeda types, they clearly are betting on the proposition that ultimately they can break the will of the American people in terms of our ability to stay in the fight and complete the task. And when we see the Democratic Party reject one of its own, a man they selected to be their vice presidential nominee just a few short years ago, it would seem to say a lot about the state the party is in today if that's becoming the dominant view of the Democratic Party, the basic, fundamental notion that somehow we can retreat behind our oceans and not be actively engaged in this conflict and be safe here at home, which clearly we know we won't -- we can't be....”

Got the quote above off of :

No More Mister Nice Blog , (They have been all over this “Red Alert” thing….check them out)

Lieberman Seizes on Terror Arrests to Attack Rival

Senator Joseph I. Lieberman seized on the terror arrests in Britain today to attack his Democratic rival, Ned Lamont, saying that Mr. Lamont’s goals for ending the war in Iraq would constitute a “victory” for extremists, including those accused of plotting to blow up airliners traveling between Britain and the United States.

“If we just pick up like Ned Lamont wants us to do, get out by a date certain, it will be taken as a tremendous victory by the same people who wanted to blow up these planes in this plot hatched in England,” Mr. Lieberman said at a campaign event at lunchtime in Waterbury, Conn. “It will strengthen them and they will strike again.”

Mr. Lamont, who rode an antiwar message to beat Mr. Lieberman in the Connecticut Democratic primary on Tuesday, has called for a firm deadline to remove front-line American troops from Iraq, and he endorsed a Democratic-sponsored amendment in the Senate to set that deadline for next July. Mr. Lieberman opposed setting a deadline.

In a telephone interview from his vacation home in Maine, Mr. Lamont said he was disappointed with the personal tone Mr. Lieberman’s remarks, and questioned the connection between the Iraq war and the new terrorist plot. He also continued his strategy of trying to link Mr. Lieberman’s views with those of the Bush administration, whose approach the senator has tended to support in the fight against terrorism.

“Wow,” Mr. Lamont said, after asking a reporter to read Mr. Lieberman’s remark about him. “That comment sounds an awful lot like Vice President Cheney’s comment on Wednesday. Both of them believe our invasion of Iraq has a lot to do with 9/11. That’s a false premise.”

Dick Cheney, in an interview with reporters on Wednesday, lamented Mr. Lieberman’s loss in the primary and said that Al Qaeda and other terrorists were counting on Americans to adopt a weaker military posture, and that the victory of Mr. Lamont over Mr. Lieberman indicated that “the dominant view of the Democratic Party” favored that weaker approach.

Mr. Lieberman also revealed today that, several hours after Mr. Cheney made those remarks about the Connecticut race, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff called the senator to tell him about the foiled terror plot. Mr. Lieberman is the ranking Democrat on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Mr. Lieberman has made the controversial decision to continue running for a fourth term in the general election this fall, but as an independent, and he is now seeking support from moderate Democrats, Republicans, and voters who do not belong to either party.

At the Waterbury event, Mr. Lieberman sought to compare his 18-year record in the Senate on national defense and homeland security to the relative inexperience of Mr. Lamont, a former Greenwich selectman who has never run for statewide office before.

“I’m worried that too many people, both in politics and out, don’t appreciate the seriousness of the threat to American security and the evil of the enemy that faces us — more evil than, or as evil as, NAZISM," <sic> said [orthodox Jew] Lieberman, "and probably more dangerous than the Soviet Communists we fought during the long Cold War.”

“We cannot deceive ourselves that we live in safety today and the war is over, and it’s why we have to stay strong and vigilant,” he added.

Mr. Lamont hesitated when he was asked if Mr. Lieberman’s criticisms were beyond the bounds of acceptable political combat.

“To try to score political points on every international issues...” Mr. Lamont said, before pausing and stopping himself. Then he added, “Why do I have to say anything?”

Mr. Lieberman said today that he was trying to stay above the fray of partisan politics, side-stepping a reporter’s question about Mr. Cheney’s remarks about Democrats by saying that he was focused on Connecticut, not the rest of the country.

“I’m not saying we shouldn’t have healthy disagreement and discussion about national security, but to make it into a partisan political football, it’s just unacceptable and in my opinion un-American,” he said.

“How the heck can we be in a battle in which we are fighting as Democrats and Republicans against each other when these terrorists certainly don’t distinguish based on our party affiliation?” Mr. Lieberman said. “They want to kill any and all of us.”

Mr. Lamont’s campaign manager, Tom Swan, said in an interview that Mr. Lieberman would pay a political price with Connecticut voters for aligning himself with the Bush administration on homeland security strategy.

“Did Karl Rove write this attack line for Joe?” Mr. Swan said, referring to the president’s senior adviser.

Mr. Rove told reporters this morning that he had called Mr. Lieberman, whom he described as “a personal friend,” on the primary day on Tuesday to wish him luck against Mr. Lamont.

= www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.