-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Howard R. Davis III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Ric Carter wrote:

> > Does the concept of the primacy of "individual rights" preclude any
> > individuals from joining in free association, incorporating as groups
> > to engage in commercial, charitable, governmental or other activities?
> > Do corporations [public or private] have more, equal or less rights
> > than individuals?
>
>    Corporations do not have individual rights nor should they. They are
> a creation of government and thus should be regulated. Individuals are
> not an artificial entity and should not be regulated in a free society.
> It was the 14th amendment which gave corporations similar rights as
> individuals (and vice versa).

Commercial corporations preceded the existence of our federal gov't by
a century or two, originating in Holland & England in the 16th & 17th
centuries.  A corporation is merely an association recognized as a legal
entity, organized under specific laws rather than being granted a charter
by a sovereign.  Corporations may be commercial [such as a business],
noncommercial [such as a charity], political [such as a party], govern-
mental [such as a city], etc.  Nations of revolutionary origin are self-
constituted, rather than incorporated or chartered, but serve the same
purpose as any other incorporated/chartered/constituted body - to provide
certain services, services that individuals cannot obtain individually.

The rights, privileges, and obligations of any corporation or individual
are determined by the society in which they reside, and may be codified
as laws, or exist more informally as mores, customs, morals, etc.  Most
societies establish [incorporate] governmental bodies as surrogates for
the society as a whole.  A favorite pastime of people is forming new
govt's; when the US west was settled, as soon as more than a handful of
people lived in an area, they'd hold town meetings, organize a gov't,
choose officers, and proceed to the fun of political squabbling.  It's
one of the great entertainments of humanity, almost as much fun as war.