-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-07-18 08:23:54 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Yes, DG, I meant that humorously; I've seen a few goats in my time &
>I've seen what they can do to a garden.

If there had been a GOAT in the Garden of Eden, he would have beaten Adam and
Eve  to the "fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil" AND of the Tree of
Life.  LOL

>And I've got you beat: I quit grad school in disgust with 6 credits to
>go for my M.A. in English. Brown-nosing and back-stabbing aren't my
>style (front-stabbing is another story

"Psychology" is even more of a farce.  The attitude of the profession and
tone of its politics had changed so radically from the '60s to the '90s, even
here in "liberal" San Francisco (a town now half PC, half yuppie), that it
seemed to me like a bad trip backward into the Stalinist '50s -- or forward
into "1984."  On the one hand, there were
the psych instructors and their students (mostly young, hopeful radical
feminists) who were using the field as an avenue for legitimizing sexual
pathology and finding paying customers for their own little private "victim
cults," while on the other hand, there were the department heads, Skinnerian
lab-coat types who favored the "psychiatric" model of therapy -- "classify
'em, drug 'em, and warehouse 'em."  Interning for awhile at a halfway house
for medicated schizophrenics, I saw that attitude at work in the people who
were evaluating my efforts.  No therapy except "work therapy" (labor
supporting the non-profit group) for the inmates, and very mercenary
peer-pressure politics among the keepers.
If you didn't share the chill Nazi-like attitude of their shrinks, you became
an outcast.
>And congratulations on being the first person I've ever heard use the
>word "heuristic" outside of the classroom.

Oh, goodie, a smiley-face on my paper!

><<and a grumpy old fart's voice much of the time>>
>Jon Winokur call this type of person a "curmudgeon" and means it quite
>complimentarily. Mencken and Bierce were curmudgeons.

Bierce, Twain, and Swift, good company indeed.  But, blecchh, I'm too grumpy
most of the time to bother laboring to turn bitter irony into sardonic HUMOR
through "satire."

>Tenorlove
>who will only admit to being over 21, so is probably one of the older
>members of the list

I'm an old Goat and proud of it.  I've lived through my first half-century
and now I'm looking forward to seeing my second millennium.  Yow!  Holy
batshit, Sheepman!