[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If that were true then why is the Bible sooooo explicit in keeping a watch?
>  Especially the verse about Jesus coming like a thief in the night? and why
> give us
>  any signs at all then? I agree no one, not even Jesus, knows the day or
the
> hour
>  but it does give definite end time signs......and I do believe that the
> clock
>  started when Jerusalem was taken in the Yom Kipper War..........as far as
> the
>  other New Testament signs, it would seem that they all have been
fufilled....
> ..
>  ks

Forst of all one would have to presume that the Bible is an accurate
reflection of real FUTURE events.  There are numerous interpretations that
are thoroughly hermeneutical and accepted by many different scholars in the
field regarding the prophecies of the Bible.  If I were to argue that the
prophecies in the Bible represented real future events (just for the sake of
argument) I would NOT go about trying to match things up but instead would
try to do as I had been instructed.  No one knows the day or hour.  Keep
watch, not in a "look at the news" way, but keep watch in the sense of
watching over ones own self to be sure that one is ready when Jesus returns.
All of the allusions are about making ones own self ready and say nothing
about looking for signs.  Jesus says it is a wicked and adulterous generation
which looks for signs.  Be prepared spiritually for his arrival while being
aware of the dangers posed by the Anti-Christ etc.
    Now having said that it is equally possible that all or at least part of
the prophecies of the Bible are allegorical and general.  If this is true
then the prophecies concerning the "end times" would fit any time of trouble
and tribulation and serve as a guide for how to live.  For the wicked who
look for a sign perhaps God has PLANNED many false starts for Jesus' return
in order that they WILL BE deceived.
    I don't know one way or the other but am inclined to believe that what is
contained in the Bible is allegorical and designed simply to send a moral
message, and to present the model for spiritual advancement.  I also favor
the view that the Bible is TOO OFTEN used to control and manipulate people
who are not well grounded in their faith, and more often than not by people
who do not have a good grasp of it themselves.
    Just MO, of course.

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"