</A> -Cui Bono?-

Hi
This is my first submission to the list, though I wish I had something
more to contribute than the questions I'm about to ask, but they are valid
questions and we'd really appreciate any help i.e. information that some
of the well informed members of this list could provide on the following
matter.

Basically most of you will know that St Andrews is a small town on the
East coast of Scotland most famous for golf and less famous for its
university, the kind of place you'd visit for a week-end with your family
in order to try and instill upon your kids an appreciation for old
churches and celtic culture, but never consider living there.

Well I've lived here for the past four years, and for the last year I've
been researching conventional sources to shed some light on the masonic
significance of this town in the last century and the peppering of
Masonic symbolry spanning the three main streets including a masonic lodge
on South Street, outside which hangs a lantern with the Grand Master Mason
signature inside a compass symbol, on Market Street the Cross Keys symbol
hanging on a central building overlooking the central fountain, surrounded
on both sides by omenic crosses on the street, and on North Street, a
multitude of masonic bible symbolry i.e. open bible etc carved on the
walls in the old chapel.

More importantly it seems the masons are active and their members include
highly influential people within the university including the personal
secretary to Struther Arnot, whose office is decorated with discrete
masonic paraphernalia including a clock with the All Seeing Eye
inscription on the pendulum.

Also the masonic presence seems to be somehow affiliated with the Order of
St John, but I don't know why it would be associated with an order of
knights.

I just don't know what the status or relevance is of St Andrews in current
masonic circles and was hoping that one of you were privy to that
information and were willing to share it.

When the above information fell into my lap, so to speak, I was highly
sceptical at first, and have remained reasonably impartial during
investigation of these links, in other words the facts are accurate and
haven't been exaggerated to fit a pattern, the pattern presented itself.

If anyone could help I'd be very grateful.

D.