</A> -Cui Bono?-

In a message dated 04/02/2000 2:35:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I don't say everything is perfect here. It's far from the truth. But
 it's much easier to be an Arab in Israel than an African American in
 certain places in US >>

I recall meeting a young Israeli physicist who was touring Turkey.  We were
in a party of five--two couples and one young Turkish man.  The small hotel
where we were did not have a room for the young Israeli, so since I was
paying for our Turkish guide, I suggested that the Israeli share that room
and pay the slight difference that two individuals in a room would cost.  He
did so, sharing the room with the Moslem Turk.  The next morning at
breakfast, he told me that he was very surprised at our Turkish guide's sense
of humor.  "Why he makes lots of jokes," he said.   "He's really a very
pleasant fellow.   I never knew that Moslems were like that."

I just laughed and told him that our guide was well known for his sense of
humor, and everyone always found him pleasant company.  Our group climbed up
to see the splendors of that particular site, and the Israeli seemed
perfectly at ease.  His amazement, however, taught me that the Palestinians
have been dehumanized to the Israeli people.  They are just thought of as
idiots with a weird religion.  These are not people worth bothering with.
They have become the Jews of Nazi Germany.  They can go here, but not there.
They can live here but not there.  They can study here but not there.   They
can have this job but not that job, and their poetry is not to be studied.
It goes on and on.  I have accepted the Israeli method of securing their
country.  Don't ask me to admire that method.  Prudy