Homeland Security Ad Depicts Luftwaffe Officer

     "The officer in the photograph was not an American general, but was
clearly a German Luftwaffe officer ‹ complete with military decorations,
insignias and a name tag bearing the German flag...."

October 29, 2001

Political ad is uniformly embarrassing
By Hugh Aynesworth
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

     DALLAS ‹ Texas homeland security chief David Dewhurst wanted Texans to
feel confident in these trying times and ‹ as a Republican candidate for
lieutenant governor ‹ wanted Texans to know he was taking his new
anti-terrorism job seriously.
     So he purchased a full-color, four-page advertisement in Texas Monthly
magazine a few days ago.
     The ad layout has received far more comment than any similar effort in
recent history ‹ but perhaps for all the wrong reasons.
     In the ad, a military officer is depicted standing in front of an
unfurled American flag, with the caption, "As chairman of the Governor's
Task Force on Homeland Security, David Dewhurst encourages you to support
President Bush and the brave men and woman of our Armed Forces as they fight
to eliminate terrorism and work to restore confidence in our economy."
     Within hours of the magazine's hitting the streets last week, the
Dewhurst campaign became inundated with calls ‹ some angry, some joking ‹
informing the state land commissioner that the officer in the photograph was
not an American general, but was clearly a German Luftwaffe officer ‹
complete with military decorations, insignias and a name tag bearing the
German flag.
     Early in the week, a stunned Mr. Dewhurst, 56, conceded he had examined
the ad "a couple times" before OK'ing it but later he and his staff placed
blame on the advertising agency that prepared the ad.
     "When I had asked for a picture of an American soldier against the
flag," he said Friday, "our graphics consultant made a mistake. The ad
agency and the graphics consultant won't be doing further work for us."
     Predictably, Democrats jumped all over the situation ‹ not only making
fun of the faux pas, but complaining that Mr. Dewhurst was using his new
assignment as home security head for political advantage.
     "The ink wasn't dry yet on the appointment when he was sending out
political brochure copy to the print shop," said Kelly Fero, who is
directing a coordinated state Democratic campaign.
     Texas Gov. Rick Perry named Mr. Dewhurst to coordinate the state's
anti-terrorism efforts earlier this month.
     "It's pretty scary that the man Rick Perry has put in charge of
homeland security doesn't know the difference between an Air Force uniform
and a German uniform," snapped Democrat state Chairwoman Molly Beth Malcolm
at an Austin party meeting Saturday.
     Friday, with strong backing from Mr. Perry, Mr. Dewhurst defended his
political ad ‹ saying maybe he should not have stressed his new role, but
solidly standing behind his expressed sentiments of supporting the president
and the armed forces.
     "If I had it do to over again," said the former Houston businessman and
one-time Air Force officer and CIA agent, "I would have said the same words.
I might not have said 'as chairman of the Governor's Task Force on Homeland
Security.'"
     Mr. Dewhurst said that at political gatherings people asked him about
security issues and that he intended to continue to mention his state task
force assignment. "Not in a way that politicizes what I'm doing for the
state," he added. "I make a point of saying: 'All right, we've stopped
talking about politics. We're going to talk about a state issue, and let me
tell you what my thoughts are.'
     "I didn't find anything out of the ordinary about saying 'Here's what
I'm doing; here's what makes me qualified to lead you,'" said Mr. Dewhurst.