-Caveat Lector-

You have been sent this message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] as a courtesy of the
Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com

 To view the entire article, go to
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32361-2002Dec9.html

 Dorgan Urges Gore to Give Up on Presidency

 By Dan Balz
  As Al Gore contemplates another run for president, Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.) has
some crisp advice: Don't do it again.

 "Al Gore is a fine person, and I like him," Dorgan said in an interview. "My feeling
is that our party must turn the page."

 Dorgan, burned by the way Gore and the national Democratic Party ran the 2000
presidential campaign, sent the former vice president a three-page letter in April
outlining his complaints. He blamed Gore for issuing an "I give up" message in North
Dakota and many other states long before the campaign  was over.

 "It's one thing to try and fail," Dorgan said in the letter. "But I think it is
unforgivable to fail to try. . . . I want a presidential candidate who will give us a
fighting chance in the heartland states."

 Dorgan said over the weekend that his views haven't changed. "Vice President Gore is
pretty much a known commodity," he said. "My own view is that, at this point, I hope
he will make a decision not to seek the presidency."

 Dorgan's letter carries an inherent warning to other Democrats thinking of running in
2004. Democratic candidates in Republican-leaning states need financial and rhetorical
support from the party's presidential nominee and national organization to avoid what
happened in North Dakota in 2000, which was a Republican sweep.

 Dorgan  isn't the only Democratic elected official sounding  off about Gore lately.
Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said last week he  thinks Gore should not run.

 "Gore would lose," Frank told the Boston Herald, adding that the aftermath of Sept.
11, 2001, had made Bush  much more popular. "Al's been wounded," Frank said. "It's not
his fault and it's unfair, but it's reality."

 Gore has said he will announce a decision shortly after the holidays.
 Senate Democrats Prime for '04
 Senate Democrats yesterday tapped Sens. Jon S. Corzine of New Jersey and Debbie
Stabenow of Michigan -- whose contacts stretch from Wall Street to auto unions -- to
lead the party's effort take back control of the Senate in 2004.

 Corzine, a former chairman of the Goldman Sachs investment firm who made history by
spending $60 million to win his seat two years ago, will be in charge of candidate
recruitment and fundraising as chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign
Committee. Fellow first-termer Stabenow, who was regarded as a skillful
dollar-stretcher in a campaign boosted by strong union support, will be vice chairman.

 Although Democrats lost their Senate majority in last month's elections, Sen. Mary
Landrieu's reelection in Saturday's hotly contested runoff in Louisiana has lifted
their spirits. "We have bounce in our step this morning," said Senate Democratic
leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-S.D.) in announcing the appointments.

 "We will do well because we have the right issues," said Corzine, stressing the need
for firm support for homeland security and a forceful assertion of economic
priorities. An aide to Corzine said he will try to broaden the base of campaign
fundraising in response to restrictions on large contributions in the new campaign
finance law.
 Barbour Readies for Race
 It's all but official, it seems. Former Republican National Committee chairman Haley
Barbour has filed paperwork needed to begin raising money for his planned 2003
campaign for Mississippi governor.

 Barbour hasn't formally announced his candidacy, but he has been  traveling the state
and criticizing  Gov. Ronnie Musgrove (D), who  hopes for a second term. Barbour was
the state's 1982 GOP nominee for the Senate. He lost that race but went on to serve in
the Reagan White House, head the RNC and found a Washington lobbying firm.

 Staff writer Helen Dewar and researcher Brian Faler contributed to this report.