> But then there's HOSTNAME.  What the heck.  The manual says "The
> canonical hostname running the clients", which tells...  absolutely
> thing.  It winds up happening via calling gethostbyname(3) on
> CLIENTHOST, and then pulling the h_name out of the response.  Well,
> what is that?

Sounds like the "FQDN" which for most machines doesn't exist (or is
meaningless) nowadays.  Emacs finally stopped looking up the DNS to try
and find the FQDN to put it into `system-name` and now just uses
gethostname for that.

> Ever had a system where [re]starting ctwm bizarrely pauses for a dozen
> seconds or so?

Yup, that was one of the entries in Emacs's etc/PROBLEMS explaining why
you might see a long wait-for-timeout at startup on
misconfigured machines.  I recommend you drop this.  For backward
compatibility, you might still like to provide a HOSTNAME variable, but
just use the same value as CLIENTHOST.

        Stefan