[ Busy summer, I'm behind on everything... ]

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:44:13PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Greg A. Woods, and lo! it spake thus:

> I have been using HOSTNAME since day one, because I shared my
> .ctwmrc across many hosts, and I never wanted to worry about names
> which might be the same at different sites.  (esp. for sites which
> used generic hostnames, such as "mail", "www", etc., as the real
> host's name)

Interesting.  I don't actually remember the last time I saw a system
where the defined hostname wasn't qualified; must be at least a
decade, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it was last millennium.
I'd almost be even more surprised to find a setup like that, which
also had DNS and resolver config setup so that the right FQDN came out
the far end of a lookup.

I wonder if that's mostly a function of the timeperiod, or if it still
varies in different social environments.

> These days though I don't wander far from home with my X11 setup
> (unless it's the one on my laptop).  I don't know what CLIENTHOST
> would resolve to on that system though.  Probably not what I use,
> which is the system hostname with ".local" appended to it.

Actually, from here, I'd guess it would be; your Message-Id and the
headers from your local smtp instance all agree in calling your system
'more.local', and I'd generally assume those programs just took the
hostname as given.

Easy enough to check; can just use `-k` to leave the temp file of m4
defs around, so you can run an invocation like `ctwm --cfgchk -k`
(cfgchk serving as a convenient way to run it without trying to take
over anything and exit right away), and seeing what's in the filename
it gives you.

> One thing I have often wondered about (well, only so often as I've had
> to edit my .ctwmrc to add something for a new system, etc.) is whether
> or not it might make sense to somehow expose some or all of the
> environment variables to the M4 processing....

We'd have to actually do all the proper value escaping we should
already be doing (but aren't of course) if we tried that   ;)

You might be able to do something with esyscmd() and echo or env in m4
to pull in or conditionalize on env vars...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fulle...@over-yonder.net