I do use (or rather did use) SERVERHOST:

dnl WINDOWMETA is the window manager meta key:
dnl windows if available, Alt otherwise.
dnl HRDWNDWMETA is optional, and can only be the windows key.
dnl Use this if it would interfere with application keys if it were Alt.

ifelse( SERVERHOST, [moon],
        [define(WINDOWMETA, m1)],
        [define(WINDOWMETA, m4)])dnl
define(HRDWNDWMETA, m4)dnl

My one display, "sun" (it was a Sun 3/50) had more keys on its keyboard
than the other, "moon" (it was a HP 700 dedicated X terminal with pc
keyboard).

And my key bindings are in terms of WINDOWMETA and HRDWNDWMETA.

But that was a long time ago...

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.