From: Art Manion <aman...@cert.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM
To: CVE Editorial Board Discussion <cve-editorial-board-list@mitre.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] public reference requirement

Towards the end of the discussion today, this came up:  Participants in these
sorts of large/distributed systems (the CVE Program) *must* have some real
responsibility, aka skin in the game.  So, the requirement to me is that the
entity requesting or assigning or populating the CVE entry *must also be
willing to make the same claim themselves.*  This can be a git commit, a vendor
advisory, a researcher blog post.  More than the content, the fact that the
claim is published by the CVE requester/assigner matters.

Otherwise the system allows participants to push responsibility on the program
that the program doesn't own -- the program catalogs vulnerabilities, the
program doesn't own (i.e., discover, create, fix) vulnerabilities.

  - Art