From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear All,

Earlier this year I purchased 100 rounds of the Portuguese (Indep?)
ammo for my Swedish Mauser from the NRA, because I had no time to
reload for the next long range shoot.  This was a mistake.  My Mauser
was made in 1906 and I would usually treat this lady with the respect
she deserves.

The first round locked the bolt almost as efficiently as the safety
catch.  The second round did exactly the same.  Both cases showed
flattened primers.  Use of the Swede was then abandoned for the day.

On reflection, during the trip home, I recalled a conversation a
couple of years back with Paul Varley about a Swedish Mauser being
destroyed by the Portuguese ammo.  I don't believe that anyone was
injured in this incident.  He'd done some research into Indep and
found an article (by a french author?) recounting problems the NRA had
had with a batch of 7.62, seven or eight years ago.  I've got a copy
of the article somewhere, which detailed some of the faults including
missing flash holes.  Anyone else recall this article?

To sum up - examination of the bullets showed that they were steel
cores with a copper wash.  I suspect that the Indep load is at the top
end of the range and my Swede is so finely engineered that the
pressure is bordering on the dangerous in this particular rifle.  The
remaining 98 rounds will remain in my ammo cabinet unused, unless
someone wants some 6.5 * 55.

My lesson from this ammo purchase.  To use reloads in all of my
classic rifles that provide a small cough and a hole in the target
rather than a big bang a perhaps a hole in the shooter.

Regards,

George

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]