On 11/9/2021 5:20 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
On 11/9/2021 5:16 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
On 11/9/2021 9:11 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
On 11/9/2021 5:55 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
As you may know, the XEmacs situation is complicated.  The old source
repo (bitbucket.org/xemacs) no longer exists.  There's a fork that's
still being maintained, but it's not widely publicised.  That's the
one I'm working with -- are you aware of this.

I was aware that the bitbucket repo didn't exist, because I tried to get the sources there.  But I didn't know about the fork.  Please point me to it, or just make a tarball available to me somehow.

Here are the immediate contexts from the sources for the xemacs
sources in the above backtrace, might be enough to check your
hypothesis:

sysdep.c:

   retry_read_1 (int fildes, void *buf, size_t nbyte, int allow_quit)
   {
     ssize_t rtnval;

     while ((rtnval = read (fildes, buf, nbyte)) == -1
            && (errno == EINTR))                         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
       {
         if (allow_quit)
           QUIT;
       }
     return rtnval;
   }
I'll have to reproduce the hang myself in order to test this (or maybe you could test it), but I now have a new guess: If the read call above keeps failing with EINTR, then we're in an infinite loop.  This could happen because of the following code in fhandler_pipe::raw_read:

   DWORD waitret = cygwait (read_mtx, timeout);
   switch (waitret)
     {
     case WAIT_OBJECT_0:
       break;
     case WAIT_TIMEOUT:
       set_errno (EAGAIN);
       len = (size_t) -1;
       return;
     default:
       set_errno (EINTR);
       len = (size_t) -1;
       return;
     }

Takashi, is EINTR really the appropriate errno in the default case?  Isn't cygwait supposed to handle signals?

I was able to build XEmacs and reproduce the problem.  My guess was wrong, though my question to Takashi still stands.  I think the infinite loop is actually caused by a bug in fhandler_pipe::raw_read that only affects non-blocking pipes (which is what we have in XEmacs).

Consider the following code in fhandler_pipe::raw_read:

       status = NtReadFile (get_handle (), evt, NULL, NULL, &io, ptr,
                len1, NULL, NULL);
       if (evt && status == STATUS_PENDING)      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     {
       waitret = cygwait (evt, INFINITE, cw_cancel | cw_sig);
[...]
     }

In the non-blocking case, evt == NULL, but we still might have status == STATUS_PENDING.  We then should wait on get_handle() to let NtReadFile finish. By not waiting, we end up using a garbage value from io.Information, leading to an infinite loop in drain_signal_event_pipe.

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Even after fixing this, I still see an infinite loop. Probably NtReadFile finishes quickly enough that io.Information is in fact valid by the time we test it. Back to the drawing board.

BTW, a quick glance at raw_write suggests that there might be a similar bug there, but I'll have to look more closely.

Ken