On Apr 17 07:36, Gionatan Danti via Cygwin wrote:
> Il 2023-04-14 23:01 Gionatan Danti via Cygwin ha scritto:
> > Il 2023-04-14 22:25 Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin ha scritto:
> > > We do that.  You're just stumbling over tha fact that U+F020 is also
> > > used as outlined in
> > > https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-specialchars
> > > and https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2023-April/253478.html
> >
> > Ah, so spaces and dots are replaced respectively by U+F020 and U+F02E
> > even without the "dos" mount option?
> > Because I can not see it in my case of an NTFS filesystem with the
> > following mount options: binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto
>
> Hi all,
> it's not clear to me why even without the "dos" mount option both space and
> dot are replaced by U+F020 and U+F02E, preventing U+F020 passthrough.
>
> Am I missing something?

It's actually not the "dos" mount option but specific filesystems
which trigger the conversion from U+0020 to U+F020.

However, the conversion back is handled in a piece of code which has
no information about the underlying filesystem, so the F0xx -> 00xx
conversion is done all the time.  Adding filesystem info in this
place is really tricky.

Corinna