Il 2023-04-19 03:10 L A Walsh ha scritto:
I'm a bit confused as to what char you are trying to access/use, as
U+F020 is in the Private Use area (PUA)

Since it's in the PUA, it seems its meaning could differ by
application/OS/User, no?
I.e. have no set definition

I mean you can use it in Cygwin to represent some character not
usually permitted in
a DOS/Win filename (like :/\, etc.), but it wouldn't have the same meaning then
in Windows though.?  Isn't Private Use area application specific so an
application can
create and use its own symbol set -- even though it wouldn't be
portable to another application.

The issue is with any clients/applications (even cygwin) creating a filename ending with a dot (or other chars) which is replaced with U+F020. If this file is later renamed adding some other character *after* the replaced dot, it become unreadable by cygwin.

Something similar to that:
- an user create a file name "project.", forgetting the extension, on an Windows share;
- the client replace the dot with U+F020;
- at this point all is good: the file can be read by the client, Windows and cygwin; - the user notice the missing extension and rename the file in "project.txt"; - cygwin now does *not* traslate back U+F020 to dot and it is unable to read the file.

I think characters in the PUA range are used to allow Cygwin filenames
to contain colon, slashes
and quotes -- so one wouldn't want Windows to understand the cygwin
intent or it would defeat
the purpose of using custom characters to represent filenames that are
legal under POSIX but not
under Windows.

True, but dot and spaces are somewhat different from the other reserved chars. While backslash, colons, etc. are rejected by NTFS itself (or by lower layer API), trailing dot and spaces are ignored/stripped by Win32. This means that Linux clients accessing an SMB share *can* successfully create such filenames without any issue and without replacing them with PUA chars.

For example, I created a file called "zzz." from a Linux+Mate client. Cygwin correctly see the filename as:
$ ls "zzz." | od -x --endian=big
0000000 7a7a 7a2e 0a00

True, Windows can not access this file, but this is fine because such a filename should never be understood by Windows. Not being able to open the file from Windows, its users themselves will find and correct the issue, renaming the file.

As things are now, we have the opposite issue: should (for whichever reason) a file exist with names as "zzz[U+F020]txt", cygwin will not be able to access this file. This means that anyone using cygwin+rsync to backup a Windows server will now have an inaccessible and impossible to backup file.

Thinking about that: how do you feel having an option to exclude trailing dots and spaces from PUA translations (effectively reverting them to the status of "normal" characters)?

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico