I'm a bit confused as to what char you are trying to access/use, as
U+F020 is in the Private Use area (PUA)

Since it's in the PUA, it seems its meaning could differ by application/OS/User, no?
I.e. have no set definition

I mean you can use it in Cygwin to represent some character not usually permitted in a DOS/Win filename (like :/\, etc.), but it wouldn't have the same meaning then in Windows though.? Isn't Private Use area application specific so an application can create and use its own symbol set -- even though it wouldn't be portable to another application.

So if you create a character in Cygwin that maps to that area -- how would you expect Windows to
know that the character is and how treat it?

I think characters in the PUA range are used to allow Cygwin filenames to contain colon, slashes and quotes -- so one wouldn't want Windows to understand the cygwin intent or it would defeat the purpose of using custom characters to represent filenames that are legal under POSIX but not
under Windows.