At 07:00 PM 11/25/2002 +0000, you wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Adam Shostack wrote:

The Russians reputedly used sensory deprivation as a means of
convincing western spies to talk.  24 to 48 hours in a tank broke
nearly anyone.
The effects are supposed to be a lot worse than you would imagine while also allowing some degree of denial by a so-called civilized state.

"we keep them awake a bit .. big deal its not supposed to be a holiday camp".

Yet it's one of the simplest and most effective ways of psychological torture.
I should think that a bit of practical training in self hypnosis could thwart sensory deprivation. I read some books in my youth on SH and found I could put myself in a self-induced altered reality state from which I could not be easily awakened. I imagine you could make yourself lean up against a wall until your muscles failed without much of a problem. I've heard surgery without anesthetic is possible, so physical abuse might be thwarted as well for the well conditioned.

steve