>    Don't know about those tags, but my laptop used to set off the library
> electronic detector.

Some laptops carry a RFID tag, as "asset control" or
how'sthatdamnedthingcalled. Newer Toshibas(?) have their configuration
EEPROM chip (what is used today instead of CMOS RAM) as eg. AT24RF08
(check eg. http://www.elecdesign.com/1998/june0898/bb/0608bb4.shtml or
google atmel.com for the datasheet). Pondering to get one such chip to
play with, if I'll get time.

Carrying things in metal briefcases has the pleasant side effect of
shielding those little narcs.

The life is so short and there are so many toys! :)

PS: Doesn't anyone here know how are called those connectors that are used
to connect digital displays to computer cards? Those that have arrays of
holes in three rows in rectangular array, like eg. on recent Matrox
videocards? I need one and my favorite stores don't carry them and I can't
find it in any online catalogs without knowing its name.