On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 11:22 AM, Harmon Seaver wrote:

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:53:55PM -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
Nice post.

I guess it's just a matter of time before someone is charged with disabling
the RF signature of one of these tags. I'd guess that here in the US, the
rule will be "if you bought it you can disable it, but prior to that you're
not allowed to jam it."

Humm...one wonders if there's already some common electronics that emit in
the same range as the scan, or if when "defective" (wink wink nudge nudge)
will jam such a signal.

Don't know about those tags, but my laptop used to set off the library
electronic detector.

I've had _many_ things set off anti-theft detectors--not sure if it's my Titanium Powerbook, my cellphone, my Visor in my wallet, CDs in my bag, or just random noise.

I no longer stop and obediently re-enter the store and wait until they can send a manager over to inspect my items. I just keep walking.

A couple of times I've had clerks run out the door as I was about 20 paces away saying "Sir, sir! You'll have to come back inside!"

I just ignore them.

They are entitled to set their alarms to trigger on CDs in my laptop case, books from other stores, etc.

But they are not contractually entitled in any way to cause me to reverse my direction and return inside their store for a meaningless examination of my briefcase (or purse, were I a chick). They can of course invite the police to make an arrest.

That would be interesting. Several people might earn the coveted death warrant.

--Tim May