On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Michael Shields wrote:

> It adds up, especially in low-margin businesses.  Groceries are a good
> example; unpacking every cart, scanning, and bagging is an expensive
> bottleneck.  The process could be streamlined a lot if an entire cart
> were scanned at once.
>
> There are serious engineering problems before we get there; but the
> demand from retailers is very real, and so a very real effort will be
> made to solve them.

I can see a couple of solutions to the checkout problem.  One is to
remove checkout counters, just scan the item at the shelf with a card.

With rfid this actually becomes a lot simpler, you can isolate items to
specific regions of the store.  If the item is removed, it had better
already be purchased or you get busted.

A whole cart load of items responding simultaneously won't work, at least
not with 5 cent rfid's of the next few years.  In a decade maybe cdma rfid
will be 5 cents.

Removing the bottleneck of checkout counters would be *very good thing*
because most people hate standing in line.  Of course, digital cash would
be really nice to have for that too!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike