> Mike Rosing[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> > They don't want to deactivate them. Go back and read the SFGate
> > article I linked in my initial post. They want to recognize when a
> > loyal customer returns, so they can pull up his/her profile and give
> > then "personalized" treatment.
>
> And what happens when the "personalized" treatment is cold sholder
> because of buying the competitions product?  My bet is they'll just
> issue an rfid card and not use the inventory control for that purpose.
>
> Connecting inventory control to customer preferences can't be done without
> an alternate device.  I can see how the grocery store will want to track
> your purchases over time to give you discounts on other products, and sell
> the info to various competing interests.  Discount stores will also do the
> same thing, but the bar code tags already give that info.  rfid doesn't
> add anything, it just gets in the way of store security (why keep track
> of *every* item purchased by *everybody* to prevent theft of CD's???)
>
> What I'm trying to say is that the info the stores want on you is already
> there and in use.  The rfid helps track items without the bar code,
> and in places you can't read a bar code (like when lots of items are in
> a box).  It can also be used for theft prevention.  But you need to
> disable it to prevent having to deal with goods bought the week before
> in a store on the other side of the world.
>
> If the stores *don't* use the rfid's for security, and they can already
> use the bar codes for inventory, what good are they?  Bar code readers are
> much cheaper than rfid readers and so is the paper tag that holds the
> bar code.  There's no economic sense for the rfid tag in the first place.
>
> Patience, persistence, truth,
> Dr. mike

You're not thinking this through. As the item goes through the door (in
either direction) the check is made "Is this individual tag on this store's
'unsold inventory' list?. If so, raise the alarm. The tags are not fungible;
they each have a unique number. When you purchase an item, it's tag
number is transfered from the 'unsold inventory' list to the 'Mike Rosing'
list, or, if no link to a name can be found, 'John Doe #2345'.

As you walk up to the counter, the tag in your jockey shorts is read,
and you are greeted by name, even if you've never been in that store
before.

What's more, for stock control, they have 'smart shelves', so they can
also say 'Mary, go get some more black hipster jeans in 34x34 and
put them out - the shelf says it's empty."

As for RFID tags vs bar codes - you missing out the labor cost
differential - RFID tags can be read by a fixed reader at several feet,
while bar codes must be indvidually scanned.

The tag cost is already down to under a dime. When it's under a
nickle, these things will be in everything. Think about them in books.

Peter Trei