On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Missouri FreeNet Administration wrote:
> > (1) I would argue that there has yet to *be* an actual *Communist* state
> > by which we could gauge the Communist existense.
>
> now, I've heard THAT argument until I grew sick of it.
>
> say, isn't the fact that there hasn't been a communist state despite
> several attempts to create one a good proof that the concept is not
> implementable?

Any government needs appropriate leadership, especially in its
infancy.. and those leaders need to be dedicated to that government
deep in their bones.

Stalin was not a particularly suitable leader, nor am I convinced of
his dedication to the true liberation of the common worker.

Give Gandhi a shot, and I suspect he would have done a good bit better.

I don't think that the United States has done so well because
representative democracy and capitalism are so great and clearly
superior. I think we have done well because the Founder's, for all
their faults, truly believed in the ideals of the government they
were creating.. and so they got us off on a good start.

We have since fucked it up but good.

Michael J. Graffam ([EMAIL PROTECTED])