"Marcel Popescu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > However, Marcel, the RBL does sound like a nice idea. I'd suggest
> > getting the RBL to blacklist them, *then* informing them,
> > though. Otherwise, they'll probably go whine to the RBL
> > maintainers. It may be harder to get off of the RBL once on it, and at
> > the very least it would cause them some grief until they convinced the
> > RBL people to remove them from the blacklist.
>
> That was exactly why I suggested informing them before the fact - I can't
> even email the RBL admins (they block, of course, everyone on the list <g>),
> and when I emailed them from another account I got a "standard message"
> back, telling me that I am blocked (like I didn't know it). [It's not me, or
> even my mail server, that is blocked - they blacklisted the whole domain of
> my server's *provider*.]
>
> So, I thought it might be too drastical to leave them with such a big
> problem, especially since it took me approx. 10 seconds to get rid of the
> emails...

Perhaps. It took me far longer to transfer the damn mail than it did
for me to delete it. Simply inserting a score rule to kill anything
from sparklist.com eliminated it after that. Normally I or one of the
other admins here would have just firewalled the domain off,
but the connections were coming from openpgp.net, since that's what
was relaying it.

Of course, the list software could be altered to stop relaying mail
from somebody after an excessive number of mails were received from
them within a short period of time. That will never happen for various
political reasons, for the same basic reasons that the list will
probably never be set up to only accept mail from subscribers and
remailers, and this kind of abuse will continue unabated. At
the same time, the signal to noise ratio has been virtually zero for
at least a year, mainly because the level of noise is just so damned
high. (With "noise" being defined as "can u tel me how 2 mak a bomb?",
general spam, and targetted DoS attacks like what just happened.)

That probably indicates that the peak of the Cypherpunks list was long
ago (which we all know anyway), but that it passed into old age and
senility quite a while back.