Dear Ruth,
If you are born in Czernowitz, the place to find your birth certificate is
not in Romania. You have to obtain it from the Ukrainian consulate
notarized and authenticated in Kiev, all in Ukrainian, alternatively by
using the services of a local advocate, or notary from Cz. You then have it
translated, notarized and apostilled by the ministry of foreign affairs of
the country you live. This is a sine qua non for obtaining Romanian
citizenship.
For Austrian citizenship, according to the new law, one of your direct
ancestors had to have left Austrian Republic territory between 1933 and
1955. Alternatively, he could have been an Austrian citizen living outside
Austria in the same period. Any other criteria are not relevant.
Of course, there are exceptions for outstanding services to those states,
etc. but these are not included in the two laws of lost citizenship by past
generations.
Best wishes to you to succeed either way,
Berti.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 6:27 AM RUTH GOLD <glasg...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Dear Compatriots,
>
>             This is an answer to those who mentioned the Romanian
> citizenship.
>
> If I were younger and had the drive of years past, I could write a short
> story about my experiences with the Romanian Authorities.
>
>  At this stage, I will just synopsize it in a few paragraphs.
>
>          It started  about 8 years ago, when I first applied  to the
> Romanian embassy in Washington .( $70.00) I sent them copies of my Israeli,
> my Colombian and American passports, all of them stating that I was born in
> Romania. Moreover, my book has been published in Bucharest with the title:
> “Timpul Lacrimilor Secate, to the launching of which I went to Bucharest. I
> have been interviewed by the National Television and mentioned in the
> newspaper.
>
>  I had the list of the repatriated orphans from Transnistria, a signed
> receipt of some money my relatives from Czernowitz sent me to Bershad, and
> other proofs.
>
>  What I was missing was my Birth Certificate, which could not be found in
> any of the archives. And this was their excuse to reject my request.
>
>  I had many extensive conversations with the Ambassador and his aids in
> Washington, all of whom were very polite and friendly, but no results.
>
>             When, about a year ago, I approached the Consulate in Miami
> where I was asked to do a zillion of errands, some of which were quite
> costly, I just gave up.
>
>   Now, I hope that the Austrian authorities will be more empathic and
> grant me my wish.
>

>  With warm regards,
>

> Ruth

>  searchable archive of all messages posted to this list.  Beginning in
> 2021,
> archived messages can be found at:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/czernowitz-l@list.cornell.edu/
>
> To send mail to the list, address it to <czernowit...@cornell.edu>.
>
> To remove your address from this e-list follow the directions at
> https://it.cornell.edu/lyris/leave-e-lists-lyris
>
> To receive assistance for this e-list send an e-mail message to:
> owner-czernowit...@list.cornell.edu

*Wo Es war, soll Ich sein.*