hi,

a few modules have similar requirements. you can have a look for
instance in the ashift.c module, where it says:

// only for preview pipe: collect input buffer data and do some other
evaluations
  if(self->dev->gui_attached && g && piece->pipe->type ==
DT_DEV_PIXELPIPE_PREVIEW)
  {

there is a 2nd pipeline, the preview pipe, which runs on the full
image but downscaled resolution (it's what you see when you pan the
image zoomed in in darkroom mode).

cheers,
 jo