Thanks Andreas !

So I tried the modifications I have suggested and I agree that the base
tab would be too crowded.

What I did was to split the technical modules in 2 tabs :

  * the I/O and dynamic range ones in the base tab (color profile,
    tonemap, exposure, crop etc.)
  * the de-* (denoising, defringing) and color reconstruction in the
    correction tab, that is now just after the base one
  * everything else as planned.

The branch is here :
https://github.com/aurelienpierre/darktable/tree/UI-refactor.

Now we have about the same number of modules in each tab.

    I think defringe and haze removal are more saturation modules (one
decreases
    and the other increases saturation)

No they are truly signal processing algorithms based on optics
equations. It's a bad idea to put them among creative modules, in my
opinion. The core idea of my project is to separate modules you have to
set following rules (signal normalization and restoration) and the ones
you are free to use as you wish.