Hi,

if you have followed the UI refactoring discussion lately then you will
have noticed that the intended target audience for DT are programmers
and graphics nerds who really know what each module does, in which order
the modules have to be edited, how the modules interact with each other,
when to use wavelets, how to add masks and blending modes and so on. DT
is not intended to be used by novices and casual users who just want
nice looking images.

However, look at it from the positive side: If you at some point got a
result that is actually on par with the competition's two slider
solutions then you have learned a lot about the deep internals of image
processing, camera curves, color spaces, blending modes, masks,
demosaicing, wavelets and so on. Maybe you will at some point encounter
an image that needs more treatment than the typical two slider solutions
can handle and then you know what to do.

When I really have to denoise an image in DT then I use a five stage
process. First I use the raw denoise with a fairly low level to remove a
bit of noise prior to the demosaicing. The demosaicing itself affects
the shape of the noise in later stages so editing this is crucial for me
(at least with Fuji X-Trans). After the demosaicing I use two profile
denoisers, one for chroma and one for luma, again with fairly low
levels, optimized blending settings and dark area masks.

Later when I have done my exposure work I use the equalizer to get rid
of the remaining noise (again with mask). Finally I play with the levels
and masks of all these stages to get the best result. Sometimes I add a
tiny bit of grain and/or dithering at the end to smooth out the
processing artifacts and to make the result visually more pleasing.

I know that seems a lot of work but at least this gets me really close
to the result that I can achieve with the free CaptureOne version that
came with my camera. I don't need denoising very often as my camera has
fairly good high Iso capabilities and a nice grain pattern to the noise.
So noise is not that big of a problem for me (at least it's not big
enough to reboot to Windows just for denoising).