* Andrey <parihaar...@gmail.com> [11-05-18 15:02]:
> New feature (filters stack widget) to rearrange filters, pin filter to
> apply changes in place where it was initiated :)
> *It's not clear where the last change (on top of the history) is applied.
>

> пн, 5 нояб. 2018 г. в 22:29, William Ferguson <wpfergu...@gmail.com>:
>
> > I like the last photo.  I think that really captures the essence of
> > darktable.  :-)
> >
> > I stopped at the denoise and didn't really set out to finish processing
> > the image, so the colors on the bear aren't the same.  However, the detail
> > is still there and wasn't affected by the denoising.  I did blow the
> > highlights a little while I was processing and didn't bring them back in.
> >
> > I actually used fewer denoising modules and less denoising to achieve a
> > better result.  The key to denoising in darktable, is making sure that the
> > image is ready to denoise.  If you apply the basecurve, which happens
> > automatically, it amplifies the noise tremendously.  When you try and
> > denoise, you then end up with the rainbow effects.  I ran DPP, RT, and DT
> > all at the same time.  I then adjusted DT's image (histogram) until it was
> > similar to RT.  I then applied the gamma curve from DPP to both of them.
> > At that point there wasn't a lot of noise in the RT or DT image, so
> > denoisiing them became a simple process.  I actually denoised DT's image
> > quicker because I only used 3 modules and 2 blending modes.  It took longer
> > to work my way through RT's sliders and drop downs. :-)
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 3:05 AM Andrey <parihaar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I like your work. We have got a nice bench, lever is ok, but the bear..
> >> darktable vs dpp:
> >> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G026G5va8h-V8Mqn0HlghslN7vKnfvwG
> >> darktable vs rawtherapee:
> >> https://drive.google.com/open?id=15hxaZDOh0Cqrs3IptcEdH_kPjSuu-NR9
> >> I've tried to recover the bear, but my result is still far from
> >> competitors (shadows are awful too).
> >> Don't you see it's too complex for regular users? I've tried to combine
> >> several denoise tools with no luck (unlike you).
> >> We both spent too much time with single image doing something on a hunch.
> >> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xWAXmF2_I7BD2XnLgGABoQMMf3ATDBC4
> >> One could expect super quality from these tons of sliders, switches and
> >> so on. But we can't get it work like single tool in RT or DPP.
> >> Rule of thumb: *do not* process noisy image with darktable.
> >> Could DT just borrow denoise tool from RT? It's very clear, simple and
> >> makes a great result.

perhaps because you do not determine the ORDER the change is applied, only
the change within a module.  ORDER that modules are applied is static, set
in concrete.  and changing parameters in a module that is earlier applied
probably affects change in modules appearing/applied later.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode