I tried it now, too, but I must say that (at least for my D610) I had expected
a bit more.

I let Nikon's software work on more than 500 files and got 60 differing
profiles. Most of them looked more or less the same, three were not usable in
Darktable, and one comes out completely green—not just a little greenish, but
almost looking like a b/w image looked at through a green filter. I wonder
which image this profile was for. :-)

I'll keep one of the profiles as a starting point if I have images with
difficult colors, but in general, for me and my camera, using one of the
Nikon-like, Nikon-like alternative, or neutral base curves seems to be a better
starting point.

For the images I looked at (mostly indoor people photography), the profiles had
much too few saturation and contrast (and decreasing the linear value to
something above 0 alone didn't yield acceptable results, too), so using them
would mean I'd have to fiddle with those settings for every image. I'm much
quicker with the base curves, choosing one of the three that fits the image,
then some exposure correction, and that's it for the color settings of most
images (at least for those that don't need to be perfect).

But I guess it's different for different camera models, and probably for
different lighting situations, too.

Best regards,

Christian