Here's a summary of the information gathered so far.  It's not really
exhaustive!

Patrick Rudin:

  * Suggests NVidia 1050, 1050Ti or 1060.

  * AMD seems not to be supported *at all* by current Linux distros.

  * Would also like to know about memory requirement.

Christian Kanzian:

  * cheap card can be slower than the CPU. [contradicts Guillermo
    Rozas below]

  * AMD Radeon R9 270X supported under Debian 8, but not any more
    under Debian 9, since AMD stopped support in proprietary driver.
    Planning to turn to NVidia.

Guillermo Rozas:

  * runs DT on an intel i7-4720HQ notebook with an Nvidia 960M 4GB,
    under Ubuntu 16.10. CUDA is fully supported by the proprietary
    drivers, and DT uses the GPU without issues.

  * any supported GPU will give massive performance improvement.
    [contradicts Christian Kanzian above]

  * get as much memory as possible [contradicts following point]

  * DT cannot use buffers larger than 1.5GB [contradicts previous point]

David Vincent-Jones:

  * There seems to be a problem with color management and NVidia.
    Using a more current version of DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS seems to
    solve the problem.

Maybe the devs want to add some more information?

That was my original question:

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                      o/X
Send plain text messages only, not exceeding 32kB.            /\/