I would do one of the following:

1.  Use symlinks as suggested by Remco.  They work perfectly fine for
darktable.  I'm not sure why some people are claiming that DT won't
delete files at symlinks, because it deletes mine just fine.  Perhaps
if the actual RAW file is a symlink, it won't delete the symlink and
the image file?  But if you just symlink to the highest level
directors (i.e. the year), then darktable works flawlessly.  In fact,
this is exactly how I have mine setup.  I have my current work on the
SSD and all of my archived stuff on a HDD.  I have /home/user/Pictures
symlinked to /mnt/wd_red/Pictures.  My in-work pictures are in
/home/user/Pictures_Working.  Deleted, removing, xmp creation, etc -
everytihing works just fine with the symlinks.

2.  The "brute force" method --- Delete the library database, move the
folders as you'd like manually, then just re-import everything.  Yes,
it takes awhile, but you know that it'll work, just let it run
overnight.  Then if you want to "archive" the 2016 folder, you can
"remove" it from darktable, manually move it to your archive path, and
re-import.  Obviously you need xmp files for this to work, which you
should be using anyway in case the library ever gets corrupted.