That matches my experience as well.  When I went from a 2 core CPU to one  with
not only 4  cores but a bit faster as well it made no discernable difference to
performance. However updating to a current mid-range AMD GPU was a big
improvement.

From: Ariel Kanterewicz [mailto:ar...@aknt.com.ar]
Sent: 06 April 2017 21:00
To: Vasilis Yiannakos; darktable-user@lists.darktable.org
Subject: Re: [darktable-user] Cores or power per core?

You could maybe look at some benchmarks? Although what I think is more
important is the performance of the new CPU vs the GPU you plan to keep.
Another option is to upgrade the GPU and buy extra RAM for the main system, if
you only want DT to work faster (an SSD would help too).

I have a Phenom II X4 945 with lots of RAM (started with 8 GB, have 16 GB now),
I used to have a NVIDIA 460 and the switch to the Radeon 460 was a change
between night and day. The NVIDIA perofrmed more or less equal to the CPU, the
Radeon goes WAY faster than that. I even switched on the full sample option on
export, it's still way faster than before.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:50 AM Vasilis Yiannakos