Hi,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM, GDoirat - GMail
<gaylord.doi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use darktable for long time and i want to put my pictures on a NAS to have
> more security.

Do you intend to have the only copy of the pictures on the NAS? In
that case I'd recommend you to look at the "Local copies" feature in
DT (http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch02s02s09.html.php), as
enough the fact that a single copy in a NAS is not safe, think about
an external backup for it (I'm very paranoid about losing my pictures
;) )

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Michael Below <be...@judiz.de> wrote:
> actually, darktable profits much more from OpenCL support than from better
> CPUs/more cores etc.
> If at all possible, try to get OpenCL working. This involves cards from
> NVidia or AMD, and using their closed-source drivers. The NVidia drivers are
> traditionally better at continuing to support older hardware, while people on
> the list had AMD drop support for their reasonable middle-aged card. On the
> other hand, there seem to be more creative ways to get a half-installed AMD
> driver to work on systems it is not intended for. I'm happy with a NVidia
> card (750 Ti, 2GB RAM), used with the boring closed-source driver, this makes
> a huge difference on my aging quadcore.

Agreed, the difference in speed in my laptop between the i7 CPU and
the 960M graphic card is a factor of three during export, and in
processing in real time in DT's darkroom it makes a huge difference.
Any current middle range card with OpenCL support (NVidia 1060 with
ideally 4GB of VRAM, I don't know about AMD cards) will work
wonderfully today and for many years. One can live with lower end
hardware, but I always thought that the price difference was not worth
it (idem for going higher)

> If I get your proposed configuration right, this might mean installing a 4GB
> gaming graphics card on a headless system -- I think it is worth it. But I
> wonder if it is possible to get the colors right on a TV, is calibration
> possible for a TV backend?

Calibration is possible using the same systems one uses for a normal
monitor (I calibrated one using a Spyder 5). The posible drawback I
see is that the (color) quality standard for TVs seems to be lower
than por PC monitors at the same price point, at least in my very
small sample of 2 of each one.

On 22/06/2017 22:26, Germano Massullo wrote:
> Forget using OpenCL without proprietary drivers, but there is a way to
> use them without having to install it permanently: if you use a Radeon
> RX card you can simply unpack the proprietary OpenCL driver somewhere
> and let darktable use it.

Honest question: what is the sense of doing this? If one is using the
open source drive on "moral grounds", taking the OpenCL blob from it
and using it when convenient doesn't make it any less closed. I
confess that I don't know the status of the proprietary drivers for
AMD, are they fundamentally worse than the open ones?

Best regards,
Guillermo