To be clear, what I'd like to have would be an option (or different shortcut) to
switch between the two behaviours. I totally see that applying something to a
group of images doesn't always make sense, but in some cases it does.

Maybe this can be implemented by using another modifier? E.g. Ctrl-t tags with
the old behaviour, Ctrl-Shift-t tags everything in a group.

Cheers,

Lars