On 26/06/17 07:48, Remco Viëtor wrote:
On lundi 26 juin 2017 03:48:54 CEST Lars Kotthoff wrote:
To be clear, what I'd like to have would be an option (or different
shortcut) to switch between the two behaviours. I totally see that applying
something to a group of images doesn't always make sense, but in some cases
it does.

Maybe this can be implemented by using another modifier? E.g. Ctrl-t tags
with the old behaviour, Ctrl-Shift-t tags everything in a group.
And click/shift-click for mouse actions then?

Digikam faced the same problem and they implemented it as a series of
configurations settings: for each group of actions you get three options: whole
group, top of group only, or ask each time. And there they went from "top of
group only" to "whole group"; that lasted exactly one version...

I remember I raised this question a lot of time ago, and then the developers convinced me that it's not clear what the behavior should be(*) in general.

In my opinion, the nice thing would be to have the groups visually represented like a stack, and having a way to select just the top or the stack (for example, click on the top image or in the "stacked" frame) with a clear visual feedback. Then the problem would be moot, given that the action would apply just to what you have selected.

For specific cases, maybe a LUA script could help (one of this years I'll have the time to learn to write them...)

Romano

(*) my use case was to rate (especially reject) images while rapidly looking at them grouped in lighttable with 1 image per page. I had groups because I shot RAW+JPEG. One of the answers was to stop doing that :-)

Romano Giannetti
http://www.rgtti.com/