I don't know if this is relevant to your case, or to darktable 2.x.x/gtk3 at
all, but in the 1.x/gtk2 versions, I had weird things happening to that patch
as a result of custom gtk2 theme settings... turns out it was actually a button
widget, and was subject to shading, etc applied to that class... just a thought.

--
jys