I actually made a prototype of this back in 2011, what's left of it is in the "detachable" branch in the git repo.  It's been a loonnggggg time since it's had master merged into it though, it would probably be a nightmare to try to merge, if you even could. I was really keen on the idea, but it didn't seem to garner a lot of interest