On 2018-04-03 07:03 AM, Michael wrote:
----
If I had to guess I would say that you are using darktable from a third party
repository that is not meant to be used with your OS version. As Robert
suggested, it might be that you are using Ubuntu, have used Pascal's PPA to
install dt and then had an OS update. That tends to disable the PPA so you are
stuck with the old (and incompatible) version of dt you had previously
installed. If that's the case just re-enable the PPA and update your system.
----
Yes, I used the ppa and yes it stopped working properly after an update. How does one reenable the ppa?

<snip>

Ubuntu will disable any 3rd party repositories at the start of a dist-upgrade. These are the steps to re-enable repositories using the GUI:

1) Click on the Software Updater icon (upper case A within a circlular double-headed arrow) and let it go through the update process.

2) Instead of closing the Software Updater after updating, click on Settings bottom left.

3) This will open a multi-tab window. Click on the Other Software tab.

4) You will see a list of checkboxes with the ppas beside them. Find Pascal's ppa and click on the checkbox to re-enable it. You probably do not want the source code ppa unless you are building dt yourself.

5) When you close the Software Updater, it will check for new updates using the newly enabled ppas.

You should be back in action after doing this.

Jack