Darktable is a non-destructive image editor and the user is totally unable to write or change the RAW file in any way.

On 2020-11-05 1:49 a.m., Remco Viëtor wrote:
On jeudi 5 novembre 2020 09:15:37 CET Archie Macintosh wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 06:44, Martin Straeten <martin.strae...@gmail.com>
wrote: <snip>

Best solution to get nikon colors is using the software provided by nikon
Indeed. Isn’t that the digital equivalent of choosing to use
Kodachrome  — the sort of choice we all made in the film days when
there was no equivalent to what we now call ‘RAW’.
But always work on a *copy* of the original raw file.
We've seen a few problems with esp. nikon raw files (.NEF) that were
attributed to Nikon's software modifying the NEF files in a way that made them
unreadable for most other software. Not a pleasant surprise if it hits you and
you do not have a backup. And this can happen with any software that writes to
raw files!

Don’t be satisfied with a look you don’t like even after hours of
work, just because of some spurious ‘moral’ argument that ‘RAW is
best’.
If you like the look of the camera jpegs, why even bother with raw
development? If it's to reproduce the in-camera look, you're wasting your
time...

Raw development is good if you do *not* like the look your camera produces, or
when you have images the camera software can't handle (images with high
dynamic range come to mind, or images with a lot of "led blue", like some
theatre settings...). But raw development has to be learned...

Remco