Hi. I think there may be some cultural background that you're not aware of,
which is this. Linux (and Unix before that)
was developed on the philosophy of "one task one program" (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy ), according to
which programs were designed to do one thing and to do it well:
coordination between tasks was handled by
interaction between programs. This is the way that your operating system
works (it's not just Linux: any modern operating
system works that way), and the benefits of it are that it avoids
reinventing the wheel, that it improves performance (because single-task
programs tend to be smaller and faster than big bloated ones, and so on).

Now with photo editing, there are two tasks. One of them is maintaining a
catalogue of images: I use Shotwell for that. Shotwell's quite
old, but it's reliable and fast. When I want to edit a photo, I get
Shotwell to open it in Darktable. Darktable only does one thing, which
is to edit images: it's not an image catalogue. And (being an old and
wizened Linux user) I think things should remain that way.

Graham

Graham White
London