On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 04:23, Patrick Shanahan <p...@opensuse.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > 'First master the basics'… well… if the lines are too harsh,
> getting rid of those is part of the basics as far as I'm concerned.
> Otherwise it doesn't look like the masks aren't being mastered at all.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > So yes, I get those basics, but like I said before: I don't get
> this to be applied to my mask. That's why I asked about the blend mode
> before. I tried the feather and blur and so on, but it doesn't work,
> because it starts wrong with everything being applied to the complete image.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Hartelijke groet,
> >     >
> >     > Hieke van Hoogdalem
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Van: Terry Pinfold <terry.pinf...@utas.edu.au>
> >     > Datum: dinsdag 8 februari 2022 om 06:51
> >     > Aan: Hieke van Hoogdalem <hieke.vanhoogda...@gmail.com>, Remco
> Viëtor <remco.vie...@wanadoo.fr>
> >     > CC: darktable forum <darktable-user@lists.darktable.org>
> >     > Onderwerp: Re: [darktable-user] Mask won't apply
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Hi Hieke,
> >     >
> >     >        with respect I say that you seem confused about working
> with masks. I hope the following explanation may help you.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >  I often want to brighten or darken a section of an image, similar
> to how I would have dodged or burned in a traditional film darkroom. To
> achieve this with a digital image I make a new instance of exposure and
> adjust the exposure slider (sometimes I deliberately overdo the adjustment
> and will return to it later). This adjustment moves the whole of the
> image's exposure, but then I use the drawn mask option which looks like a
> crayon. I then often use the add path option to very roughly select the
> area I want to apply the effect to. The transition will be harsh and
> obvious. To fix this problem I then move the feather radius and blurring
> radius sliders about a third of the way to the right (amount may vary
> between images). This feathering and blurring then creates an invisible
> transition. I return to the exposure slider and fine turn the strength of
> the effect.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Forget the blend mode options until you have mastered basic

--Hi Hieke,
       I am posting my reply again from my gmail server rather than my
University server. I apologise that I can not control if my post appears at
the top or bottom of the list. The server does whatever the server wants to
do.  I have also tried to attach a screenshot for clarity.

With respect I say that you seem confused about working with masks. I hope
the following explanation may help you. Masks for me are the whole reason I
love using DT compared to alternative programs.

[...]

[image: image.png]