Manuel,
While launching from the command line with this:
darktable --configdir ~/.config/darktable/test
...does work, when I go into preferences/processing, the last 3 lines which
all pertain to opencl are greyed out.
No option to enable them. They all say "not available".

Then, you suggested:
1) First, make a backup of the current config directory.
2) Copy the default darktablerc into your config:
    $ cp ~/.config/darktable/test/darktablerc  ~/.config/darktable/
3) Roll back the library.db and data.db from darktable's own snapshots,
    from most recent to oldest, e.g.
    $ cd ~/.config/darktable
    $ cp data.db-snp-20230716172500 data.db
    $ cp library.db-snp-20230716172500 library.db

Did that, and darktable does now launch from the icon on the taskbar. 1
small step for a man... no giant leap for mankind just yet.
OpenCL is still not available.
Nor is the ability to multiselect images in the lighttable view. That's a
new twist. I've never seen that not be possible.

Romano,
You suggested restoring via Timeshift.
I just opened Timeshift, which I have set to capture 1x weekly and 5x daily
backups.
But bizarrely, it is set to EXCLUDE both /root and the user home directory
(and all files therein, in both instances... so I'm not sure exactly what
it is backing up!)

David,
That's actually sounding like a decent plan, to be honest. I might just go
that route.