Hi there,

*1. THE SITUATION*

I try to create my first Sinatra (Ruby) app. Therefore I want to use the
"dm-sqlite-adapter" gem,
which shall now be installed after "data_mapper" was installed before.

*2. THE PROBLEM*

So I did run:

sudo gem install dm-sqlite-adapter

in the terminal and got the following output:

ERROR:  Error installing dm-sqlite-adapter:

> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
> extconf.rb

checking for sqlite3.h... no

*** extconf.rb failed ***

necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more

details.  You may need configuration options.

> Provided configuration options:

--with-opt-dir

--without-opt-dir

--with-opt-include

--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include

--with-opt-lib

--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib

--with-make-prog

--without-make-prog

--srcdir=.

--curdir

--ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby

--with-sqlite3-dir

--without-sqlite3-dir

--with-sqlite3-include

--without-sqlite3-include=${sqlite3-dir}/include

--with-sqlite3-lib

--without-sqlite3-lib=${sqlite3-dir}/lib

> Gem files will remain installed in
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/do_sqlite3-0.10.12 for inspection.

Results logged to
> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/do_sqlite3-0.10.12/ext/do_sqlite3/gem_make.out

In addition, in the mkmf.log it's written:

have_header: checking for sqlite3.h... -------------------- no
> "xcrun cc -E -I.
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin12.0
>
> -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/local/include -I/usr/include
>  -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_DARWIN_C_SOURCE    -g -Os -pipe -fno-common
> -DENABLE_DTRACE  -fno-common  -pipe -fno-common   -Wall   conftest.c -o
> conftest.i"
> xcode-select: Error: No Xcode is selected. Use xcode-select -switch
> <path-to-xcode>, or see the xcode-select manpage (man xcode-select) for
> further information.
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> 1: #include <sqlite3.h>
> /* end */
> --------------------

*3. A SOLUTION, not yet.*

Does anybody know how to tackle this issue?

I did already look on several websites (including a question at
Stackoverflow<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12451964/gem-install-sqlite3-gives-error-sqlite3-h-is-missing>,

or
this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1143776/install-sqlite3-on-mac-osx>one)
where they recommend to use "sudo
apt-get install libsqlite3-dev" which is only valid for Ubuntu or similar
Linux operating systems. I can't seem to find the right way to make the
sqlite3.h (Header file) detectable.

But I did install sqlite3 using MacPorts with:

sudo port install sqlite3

> and asking the terminal with "which sqlite3" results in:

/opt/local/bin/sqlite3

So, sqlite3 seems to be installed properly.

*4. ASK FOR HELP*

Any tip or link is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
- Alex