Thx, Mr. Voelker! :)

Thanks to your answer, I was able to install with:

sudo gem install dm-sqlite-adapter

I'm not sure, but I believe the key was installing the full Xcode, not just
the "Command Line Tools" (which I did before).

*THE LUCKY STEPS TO SUCCESS I MADE*

For others, who also run into this problem I did the following steps:

   1. Installed the latest Xcode 4.6 (Jan, 28th) from
   https://connect.apple.com
   2. Uninstalled my already (via MacPorts) installed version of "sqlite"
   using "port uninstall sqlite" *(not necessary, if you didn't install it
   in the first place)*
   3. Did a cleanup of my already installed Homebrew version using "brew
   cleanup"
      1. To be precise I used this line "rm -rf /usr/local/Cellar
      /usr/local/.git && brew cleanup" but received the following error caused
by
      the part before "&&": *"Error: No such file or directory -
      /usr/local/Cellar"*
   4. Installed sqlite with Homebrew using "brew install sqlite"
      1. And yes, I received the warning: *"Warning: It appears you have
      MacPorts or Fink installed. Software installed with other package
managers
      causes known problems for Homebrew. If a formula fails to build,
uninstall
      MacPorts/Fink and try again."* — but I ignored it.
      2. Received this second warning: *"Warning: This keg was marked
      linked already, continuing anyway
      Warning: Could not link sqlite. Unlinking...
      Error: The `brew link` step did not complete successfully
      The formula built, but is not symlinked into /usr/local
      You can try again using `brew link sqlite'"*
      3. So I tried "brew link sqlite" which resulted in: *"Linking
      /usr/local/Cellar/sqlite/3.7.14... Warning: Could not link sqlite.
      Unlinking...

      Error: Could not symlink file:
      /usr/local/Cellar/sqlite/3.7.14/bin/sqlite3
      Target /usr/local/bin/sqlite3 already exists. You may need to delete
      it.
      To force the link and delete this file, do:
        brew link -f formula_name

      To list all files that would be deleted:
        brew link -n formula_name"*
      4. So, I ignored this error as well and typed "sudo gem install
      dm-sqlite-adapter" which ran successfully! :)

Pretty long journey, but worth it, I guess! ;)

Best regards,
- Alex